3. Manuscript Check and Cover Design
3.1 You have sent us the folder containing your completed manuscript. We will check the contents against our submission guidelines, and do a rough check of the contents so we can pick out any major editorial issues, such as related to orthography, referencing style, or organization. This is the first of several checks and edits to your manuscript:
- Post-submission manuscript check: Rough check against guidelines on organization, reference style, orthography;
- Copyediting: Extensive review of the manuscript based on our style guide, attention to argument and references, stylistics issues, potential ESL (English as a second language) issues, global and local composition;
- Review of copyedits: Review by the author/of our copyedits;
- Post-review check: Review of the manuscript after the author reviewed our copyedits;
- PDF proofing: Review of the draft interior design by the author with possibility of small corrections;
- Hardcopy proofing: Review of the finalized interior in hardcopy proof form.
3.2 We are dedicated to working closely with authors relative to design issues. Please also keep in mind, however, that punctum has worked very hard to craft and maintain a very distinctive design aesthetic, and we do not want to ever compromise that. So there may be times, for example, when we cannot, or do not want to, work with a cover design idea you have, but we promise to always listen to your ideas and to work with them as much as we can. The bottom line is: we want our book covers to be striking and memorable, and we also want our authors to love the design of their books.
3.3 We will show you draft designs of the cover of your book. We will ask you for your feedback and suggestions.
3.4 You have the right to veto design choices. We also have the right to veto your ideas for design.
3.5 Once we’ve all agreed on the draft design, the design may continue to undergo small tweaks as we prepare for release.